Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Bangladesh and Girl Power

We had a fearless leader who took us through a dizzying maze of spices, stacked fruit, veggies in vans, and buckets of berries glittering in the sun. On the outskirts of Yerevan, Armenia we shopped with the locals at a place they call “Bangladesh” (given its distance from the center of their capital city). Though our leader spoke only a few words of Armenian, it was clear that she was much loved – having traversed the market many times before, making friends along the way. They greeted her with a kiss, would not let her pay for the fruits they put in her hand, and offered blessings for her family (at least that is what I imagined them to say). I sheepishly watched and tried to take it all in.







What better reason to eat raw food when it comes with such positive energy?

6 comments:

The Voracious Vegan said...

Lovely photos! You are so right about the happy, positive energy that comes with raw, whole, beautiful foods!

Travel Raw said...

Voracious Vegan, Thanks for your comment. It made my day! :)

Girl on Tour said...

How incredible does all this look? It is a raw foodist's paradise, you lucky gal. This reminds me a little of Albania and Mexico. These people sure live simply and could teach us a thing or two about life!! xx

Travel Raw said...

Girl on Tour, it has definitely been my privilege to learn from them - both about food and life! Thanks for commenting.

Unknown said...

After being in Armenia for 8 weeks, I can definitely say I feel better after being away from all my favorite "processed" foods from home. I am loving shopping for fresh fruits and veggies at my favorite outdoor market. Thanks for your wonderful blog!

Travel Raw said...

Teresa, Thanks for commenting! Glad things are going well!!