Tuesday, December 1, 2009

"You Don't Eat No Meat?!"

"What do you mean, you don't eat no meat?"

"Is okay. You eat turkey."

I felt like I was in a scene from the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding." My 87-year-old Italian Great Aunt kept offering to share her turkey with me throughout our Thanksgiving dinner - thinking that there must be some mistake that I didn't have any turkey on my plate already!  I tried to assure her that it was not an oversight and that I would not starve as a result.  Regardless of my attempts at explanation, she was not to be convinced.  


Once I got her off the topic of meat, however, she shared with me some of her "folk remedies" (as she calls them) to promote a long and healthy life.  Among them was her daily habit of drinking a glass of water mixed with two tablespoons of organic Apple Cider Vinegar and two tablespoons of maple syrup or honey.  I bought the ingredients, but haven't tried it yet.  While I am not entirely convinced to drink Apple Cider Vinegar, I can't argue with how good she looks at 87.  She can climb stairs, balance her checkbook, and remember her long list of remedies (of which this is only one).  

I am trying to pay attention.  Not only do I want to look and feel that good in the years to come, but I am a firm believer in the wisdom of our elders...even if she wants me to eat meat (*wink*).


5 comments:

The Robertsons of Mumbai said...

Opa! I was really laughing when I read your post for two reasons:

1. I LOVE "My Big, Fat Greek Wedding" and feel like I have watched it a million times, so I could totally here the aunt saying that! Also, as a Greek Orthodox convert, I have had my share of real-life similar situations! ;)

2. I got up at 3:45am this morning and put apple cider vinegar on my scalp for a skin irritation, as my grandfather used to use it for everything. Not sure if it is working, but I am out of my steriods from the US (plus trying to get off of them) and everything else is packed away and heading for a boat right about now (I hope). Let me know how you get on with it. I normally use it to disinfect the veggies here...

Travel Raw said...

J, now you are making me laugh! Even more uses for apple cider vinegar. Good to know! Will let you know when I am brave enough to drink up!

Girl on Raw said...

You are both making me laugh. Such a treat read Travel Raw hehe. Wasn't it Windex in My Big Fat Greek Wedding? Haha

Travel Raw said...

J and Girl on Raw, I like that we are all in different parts of the world and can laugh together!! :) Ah, Windex... :)

Anonymous said...

So enjoy reading your blogs and smile thruout the day!